Development Director (Volunteer)
About Spheres of Influence
Spheres of Influence is a youth-led non-profit digital publication dedicated to highlighting underreported issues in global affairs, politics, social justice, the environment, and more. We aim to amplify marginalized voices and approach issues from a progressive and decolonial approach. We are based in so-called Vancouver, BC on unceded xʷməθkʷəy̓əm, Sḵwx̱wú7mesh, and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh territory and publish articles from young writers in Canada and across the globe.
Joining our organization entails connecting with young professionals and students across the world, the expansion of soft skills, and furthering global connectivity and awareness. While Spheres of Influence is entirely volunteer-based, we aim to make this experience as reciprocal as possible by providing opportunities for professional growth and capacity building.
About the position
Spheres of influence is currently looking for eager individuals passionate about contributing to international justice, accountability, and decolonization through journalism. We are especially looking for a self-motivated individual with excellent leadership, outreach, and fundraising skills.
As the Development Director you will strategize, develop, and execute strategies to grow our audience, financial capacity, and membership. You will be a data and research driven engagement specialist that can turn analytics into effective insights. You will be collaborating with a dynamic team to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders to connect interested readers to our content and convert readers into members through membership campaigns. You will also play a key role in our fundraising efforts, including applying for grants and communicating with philanthropic partners. You will promote a culture of innovation and analytics driven strategy to drive up our readership and engagement. Finally, this is a leadership role and you will be tasked with overseeing a team of volunteers who will assist you with these projects.
This is a volunteer and fully remote position, requiring 5-7 hours per week.
- Manage campaigns to support digital subscription growth
- Analyze and report on campaign performance and champion ways to improve membership and audience engagement
- Search and apply for grants
- Liaise with individual and corporate donors
- Collaborate with content marketing lead to design campaigns that bring the brand to life and translate brand value
Experience, education, and training
- Education or interest in international relations, politics, public relations, journalism, communications, or sociology is preferred
- Previous experience in an community engagement, fundraising, or marketing is preferred, especially in the non-profit sector
- Passionate about global affairs, accessibility, and equity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent leadership skills and the ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in teams
- Strong understanding of Google Analytics and website membership systems
- Experience driving membership/donor campaigns
- Strong organizational and management skills
- Proactive, flexible and positive when presented with a new task or challenge
How to apply
- Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline: July 18, 2022